With over 50 years of experience we understand the importance of operating in a responsible, sustainable manner. We have always taken our responsibilities to the environment seriously and are committed to playing our part by learning, innovating and implementing sustainable actions to limit our impact on the planet.
We are pleased to have reduced emissions over the previous few years. The carbon emissions associated with our manufacturing, head office and transport operations (Scope 1 and 2) have reduced by 45.5% compared to turnover between 2017 and 2022, with 12.9% compared to turnover between 2021 and 2022.
Now we’re taking our carbon reduction efforts to the next stage and have implemented carbon reduction targets –
• To maintain our ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems certification across all sites.
• To maintain full FSC® Chain of Custody certification for all timber-base materials we procure.
• Continue to monitor and record packaging specifications (including the percentage content of recycled material) and minimise single use virgin plastic, where possible.
• To increase the average vehicle MPG of our delivery fleet by 1% by the end of 2023 (2021 baseline).
• 75% of our car fleet to be PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles) by 2025.
• To include fully electric vehicles in our car fleet by the end of 2025, subject to a feasibility evaluation.
• To reduce the total paper weight of our literature production by 5% in 2023 (2022 baseline).
• To understand and measure the embodied carbon in our core furniture by the end of 2025.
• To procure green electricity and gas tariffs for our headquarters and manufacturing sites by the end of 2025.
Carbon emissions reduced per £m turnover 2017-2022
These emissions have been associated with our manufacturing, head office and transport operations.
tCO2e saved from our Biomass Boiler from 2020-22
Which is the carbon dioxide equivalent of taking 2,324 cars off the road for a year or the energy usage of 1,316 homes for a year.
Boiler installed in 2007
Symphony led the industry in 2007 installing a boiler which is fed with wood waste from manufacturing to create fuel for the site.
Our products are made of material from well-managed FSC® certified forests and other controlled sources, including recycled materials.
Six of our ranges are made from 100% recycled board.
All our paint to order doors are painted with water-based paint.
All of our cabinet legs are made from 100% recycled plastic.
All our kitchen door and worktop corner protectors are made from either 100% recycled plastic or 100% recycled pulp.
Our cabinet chipboard is made from a minimum of 57% recycled material.
As of September 2023, 54.7% of our car fleet are hybrid/electric.
None of our manufacturing waste is sent to landfill.
Our vehicles are amongst the most fuel efficient on Britain’s roads, with reduced emissions and keeping our air cleaner.
We’re Gold Members of The Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.
YWT is a charity dedicated to conserving, protecting, and restoring wildlife and wild places in Yorkshire.
We’ve achieved our Gold Badge with the Supply Chain Sustainability School.
By completing regular assessments, participating in learning activities and case studies, we’ve achieved our Gold status.