Peter Sidwells Doughnut Recipe
At Symphony we love to celebrate all things food, and don’t think there is a better way than National Doughnut Day to get into the kitchen and start creating delicious treats!
Follow along with our Doughnut Recipe with a twist from chef Peter Sidwell.
500g strong white bread flour
10g dread yeast
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of custard powder
75g sugar plus a little extra for rolling the doughnuts in 300ml milk
150g raspberry jam
- Place the flour, custard powder, yeast, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl and blend together using your hand.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the milk and softened butter.
- Mix together until you have a softball of dough, then transfer to a clean work surface and knead for 10 minutes until nice and smooth.
- Place the kneaded dough back into the mixing bowl and cover with a piece of cling film.
- Leave the dough to prove for 1 hour to double in size.
- When the dough is ready scoop it out and kneads for a further 1 minutes to knock out all the air.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and roll into bread rolls.
- Brush a little oil onto a clean sheet of baking parchment placed on top of a baking tray Place the roll onto the parchment paper and leave to prove until doubled in size.
- Heat a shallow pan of vegetable oil to 170c their needs to be approx 2 inches worth of oil so you can cook them on both sides.
- When the oil is ready, carefully lift the brioche rolls off the paper and into the oil cook only three-four at a time.
- When they are golden on one side turn them over and cook the other side.
- When they are now doughnuts, remove them from the oil onto a baking tray and repeat the process until you have cooked them all.
- Place the doughnuts into a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 180c to finish cooking.
- When the doughnuts are cooked, remove them from the oven and roll in sugar.
- When they have cooled a little use a sharp knife to make a hole in the side using a piping bag fill the doughnuts with your jam.
Head over to Peter Sidwells Instagram to see more of of his recipes and live cook alongs.
Explore more of our recipes on our website by heading to our Inspiration page.