Apple, Cranberry and Mincemenat Strudel with homemade rough-puff pastry
For the pastry
- 400g Plain Flour
- 200g Butter, cold and diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
For the filling
- 400g Mincemeat
- Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Golden Caster Sugar
- Candied Orange Peel
- Candied Ginger
- 2 Apples, sliced
Here’s how to make it:
Make the pastry:
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl with half the butter, and using your fingertips rub the butter in, to create a crumble-type mixture
- Pour the flour and butter onto the worktop and add in the other half of the butter and coat the cubes in the flour mix
- Make a well in the middle and pour a little cold water and a squeeze of lemon juice. Start to mix everything together to form a pastry dough. Don’t break down all the cubes of butter as this creates the rough-puff pastry.
- With a little flour, roll out the pastry and fold back on itself into thirds (don’t forget to watch the video to see how it’s done). Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to chill. Remove from the fridge and roll out again, then fold into thirds again. This is what creates the layers and lots of flakes.
- Repeat the previous step, then roll out to 1/2cm thick and trim the edges to make it straight. Set aside and make the filling.
Make the filling:
- Mix the mincemeat in a bowl and add sugar, nutmeg, candied orange peel and ginger together. Add in the apple slices and mix your Christmas in a bowl.
Assemble the Strudel:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Spoon the mixture down the middle and level it out
- Cut a small right angled triangle out of the top corner. Then, on a diagonal, cut inch thick slices down each side. Working on one side, then the other, overlap the ribbons of pastry locking in the filling and the pastry fold before it.
- At the ends crimp them closed and trim off any excess pastry.
- Place on a lined baking tray. Egg wash and dust with a little caster sugar.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 35 minutes.
Download the recipe card here.